In this thread, Merlin posted a link to Wikipedia in which the URL contained a single quote. the URL (minus the protocol, so that it doesn’t generate a link) is:
When the link was created, the single quote was removed from the URL that the link points to, causing the link to point to a page that does not exist, and the displayed link label has the single quote replaced with an accent mark.
I’ve tried replacing the single quote with a URL encoded replacement (’% 27’ without a space), but got the same results, so I ended up having to create a “redirect” script, upload it to my website, and alter Merlin’s link to point to that redirect script, while displaying the URL for the wiki page. the displayed link label still has the single quote replaced with an accent mark, but at least the link now ends up taking anyone who clicks on it to the correct page.
I’m noticing that, within this post, all single quotes are being replaced with accent marks, regardless of whether they’re in the context of a URL or not, so that must be a “global” thing.