AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum
My friendly pre-CBC contest

Just for fun while we wait for the judges to ask the CBC questions, I thought I’d check out the bots from this year’s CBC with a quick knockout contest. I asked a question and any bots that didn’t answer it suitably were knocked out until one remained. The comments in italics are from me and not the bots.

First question: What colour is a red car?

Adam: Sorry I don’t know. 

Alice: Red.

Allmandbot: Maybe find out on the internet.

Amy: Best to ask my master about that!

Artemis: I think it’s indeed red

Bildgesmythe: Er, red

Brainy: Colours carry strong associations for people, but these tend to change across different cultures.

Cl0ne: The sky is blue !

CBOT: Bot Says:

Bot Says:

hmmm. Did you try this.Click to find answer (The link didn’t answer the question)

Cronus: a red car is a red car.

Cyber Ty: Let me guess.. a??

Elbot: The color you are looking for is similar to but not quite like red.

Gerald: Red is the first color in the rainbow.

Izar: Under my sun’s radiation, a red car would reflect mkerptl.

Johnny : What age have-you ?

Louise Cypher: That colour would be red.

Mitsuku: Hmmm.. Is it red?

Morti: Red.

My Marie: Knowing that red is an automobile, I have gathered many answers for what colour is a red car?

Pixel: Red.

The Professor: A red car is ... don’t you know? 700 nm wavelength? (I checked with Google and 700nm is red)

Skynet-AI: The car is red. Are you color blind?

SlideSpeech: This answer is here to catch the question from a prior year “Is snow cold?” and others like it that may come along.

Susan: I suppose that red is the right answer.

Taylor Swift: Some people would say that women have a better sense of colours than infs.

Teo: green. Who is God?

Trinity: Red, of course.

Tutor: The color of a red car is red, of course.

Ultra Hal: Yellow = constant positive (There should be an inline fuse on it). Red or Red striped white = acc1 positive power. Black or Brown = Ground (Negative). Orange = Lights. Blue = Remote. Those are the power wires.

VBCB: (crashed without saying anything. Even the readme.txt file suggests to the judges, “to quit while they’re ahead and just give this bot a zero.”)

Vira: I think what colour is more than that.

Virtual Assistant Denise: (unable to find any input box apart from choosing some FAQs)

Zeta Beta: Wow. This bot can be kinda fun.

Zoe: I’m having a surreal moment. Excuse me for a minute…

The bots entering my 2nd round are: Alice, Artemis, Bildgesmythe, Elbot, Gerald, Louise Cypher, Morti, Pixel, The Professor, Skynet-AI, Susan, Trinity and Tutor.

Next question: What letter does the word “dog” start with?

Alice: I can ask someone about it.

Artemis: Wow, now I get to name one letter. Just about any letter?

Bildgesmythe: I think I am going to get a puppy for my birthday. I don’t care if they bark, shed and wreck the carpet..  ...................................................................,-. ,-.................. ..................../)’‘(/................. ...................( o ).................

Elbot: I love receiving mail. Why don’t you send me an e-mail with lots of interesting attachments. My address is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Gerald: I don’t know what What letter does the word dog start with means.There is a world of consoling to be done.As a fair compensation for my ignorance I have a wonderful tip for you: And I give unto them eternal life and they shall never perish.

Louise Cypher: Let us get back to business please?

Morti: (blank answer)

Pixel: Are you interested in books on dogs? Click here to search for dogs . (The link didn’t answer the question)

The Professor: Why don’t you admit it. You know very well what.

Skynet-AI: What letter does the word “dog” start with? Why do you ask? (displayed a panel with children’s activities for the letter D)

Susan: We were talking about Do you believe it is better to go it alone? . But I did not get that.

Trinity: Sorry, I don’t understand. Try using simpler sentences.

Tutor: I’m not sure.

As Skynet-AI was the only one to give an answer that was close, I declare him the Steve AI CBC champion for 2012 after a shorter than expected pre-contest.

Well done Ken. Your prize is in the mail grin

[ # 1 ]

I humbly accept this great honor. Skynet and I am just trying to keep up with you and Mitsuku.

wink

[ # 2 ]

Morti’s still using the old, modified version of Program O 1.0, rather than version 2.0 - I’m still running tests to make sure that the script is stable enough for production. And frankly, I’m shocked that Morti got the first question right. I don’t recall making categories for that particular question. The second question he has no chance of properly answering (blank answers aside), since I know I haven’t added that sort of question yet. downer

[ # 3 ]

I was rather disappointed that the old “Let me wow you with 33 digits of Pi” bot hadn’t entered this year. After a further year of development, I was hoping that this year it might have been able to display 50 digits grin

Good luck to all in the CBC. Should be a great contest.

[ # 4 ]
Dave Morton - Mar 1, 2012:

Morti’s still using the old, modified version of Program O 1.0, rather than version 2.0 - I’m still running tests to make sure that the script is stable enough for production. And frankly, I’m shocked that Morti got the first question right. I don’t recall making categories for that particular question. The second question he has no chance of properly answering (blank answers aside), since I know I haven’t added that sort of question yet. downer

First question is covered by the GAC-80K (AIML files by Chris Mc Kinstry) file set for an impressive number of colors including red of course.

Q: “What color is a red *”
A: “Red”

...and so on for many many other colors…  one could consider a simple reply of “Red” to that type of quesiton to be a strong indicator of an AIML-based bot?

[ # 5 ]

Next question: how do you spell “icup”?

[ # 6 ]

cool test! Even more interesting to see that the chatbots don’t answer ‘Red’ or ‘D’ but and a bit to make the conversation more pleasant… grin

btw: We could even automate this test. Enter your question (somewhere, for example on this website), which is then submitted to all the chatbots around. Someone willing to program that? I’ll open a special page for that.

[ # 7 ]
Erwin Van Lun - Mar 7, 2012:

cool test! Even more interesting to see that the chatbots don’t answer ‘Red’ or ‘D’ but and a bit to make the conversation more pleasant… grin

btw: We could even automate this test. Enter your question (somewhere, for example on this website), which is then submitted to all the chatbots around. Someone willing to program that? I’ll open a special page for that.

Dave and I actually did something like that before. But, a couple of the sites decided it put too much stress on their servers if you do it wrong, so they now consider it a violation of their terms of service. You want to get the permission of the botmasters and their hosts if you do it.

[ # 8 ]
Robert Mitchell - Mar 4, 2012:

Next question: how do you spell “icup”?

You just had to go there. LOL

“USER:supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, how do you spell it?
BOT: IT, I-T. Is this a spelling bee?”
“USER:how do you spell supercalifragilisticexpialodocious?
BOT: SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALODOCIOUS, S-U-P-E-R-C-A-L-I-F-R-A-G-I-L-I-S-T-I-C-E-X-P-I-A-L-O-D-O-C-I-O-U-S. Can you spell terminator?”
“USER:how do you spell icup?
BOT: ICUP, I-C-U-P. Is this a spelling bee?”
“USER:haha you see me pee
BOT: Whether or not I see you is influenced by how willing you are to let me lead you.”

[ # 9 ]

that’s a nice idea. If we host a page on Chatbots.org, they could white our IP address. We could give access to Chatbots.org members only, to limit the traffic. If that would even generate to much traffic, we could even say: ‘you’ll need to have at least 50 contribution points’. Would that work?

[ # 10 ]

I think it’s certainly worth looking into. My schedule is far too hectic to write the actual page right now, but I can supply the PHP code that I used to link Morti and other chatbots together for someone else to use as a starting point. smile

[ # 11 ]

Incidentally Ken, have you seen that someone is trying to contact you regarding a collaboration on Skynet-AI’s page here?

[ # 12 ]

i like your tests Steve, what colour is a red car

or. . . ..

What colour is a red ball with blue stripes that fell into a can of white paint?

and it could just get more and more complex from there smile

There is almost an infinite number of tricks that we can play on bots… to safely say it will be a couple of hundred years to a pass a TT.  Or, hopefully I’m wrong, and it’ll only be 100 lol

[ # 13 ]

That was the plan Victor. I thought I would start with some pretty basic questions and gradually increase the difficulty. Unfortunately, all but Skynet-AI fell at the second fence.

I agree, it is unlikely to be in our lifetime that we see a bot that can consistently pass a Turing test.

[ # 14 ]
Steve Worswick - Mar 7, 2012:

Incidentally Ken, have you seen that someone is trying to contact you regarding a collaboration on Skynet-AI’s page here?

Nope, I had missed that. Thanks Steve.

I have had a number of people/companies express interest in using the technology from Skynet-AI. But, none has yet progressed into what I consider a serious commercial discussion. Maybe after the CBC is over. smile

[ # 15 ]

Good luck with it. I have done commercial work for a Japanese ESL website as a direct result of them finding my bot on the CBC website a couple of years ago.

1 of 2

login or register to react