AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Reading system time

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to access the system clock from CS? I’d like my bot to be able to make reference to local time during the opening gambit… i.e. at 05.00 (if it knew) the bot could say “Wow, it’s early! Is anything wrong?” or similarly time appropriate responses.

[ # 1 ]

system variables with percents:

day, date, month, year, daynumber, ..... see manual

eg

t: (%hour<5) noerase() repeat()  Hello, night owl. 

[ # 2 ]

I had to ‘fix’ your post, Bruce. The ‘list’ of varibles was in the notification email, but was missing from the post. cheese

[ # 3 ]

t: (%user_IQ<50) noerase() repeat()  RTFM!!! grin

Thanks for the help guys.

How are you mending Dave? I hope things are going well. grin

[ # 4 ]

I’m actually doing FANTASTIC! I’m standing more these days,and while I’m still not ready to walk,that day isn’t far off at all. The left arm is out of it’s brace, though full mobility has yet to be restored, but the right am is going to be a while before it can be released from it’s prison. smile

[ # 5 ]

Totally off topic but seeing as the OP is asking after your health, I see you are on the boards (and other sites more and more now Dave) so do you wish me to step down as temporary moderator here? I am more than happy to hand the reins back if you wish?

I only had a couple of spam threads to remove and so it was a pretty quiet shift all in all. Where’s a decent flame war when you need one! wink

[ # 6 ]

Any AI that requires the system clock to be able to tell time is not true AI but only a paltry sham. Sham I tell you. Now with my ultra-advanced and ultra-secret true AI project, the system learns on its own how to tell time using only a paperclip, peanut butter, and the sun. (None of which were pre-programmed mind you!) It can pass the Turing Test in 12 parsecs, but unfortunately I can’t show any of you because it’s ultra-secret (did I mention that?).

There. That ought to get the ball rolling, Steve. smile

Edited to add: It’s nice to see you around more Dave!

[ # 7 ]

Hi, CR. You have caught me out. Had I realized that providing system time functions would allow people to realize true AI was not involved, I would, of course, have omitted them.

Do both crunchy and smooth peanut butter work equally well? I prefer crunchy so that if I have leftovers I might eat it myself.

Does your system work under Microsoft 8?

[ # 8 ]

Actually I should fit a wristwatch to my robotic arm ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/robotic-arm-kit-with-usb-pc-interface-266257 ).

The simplest solutions are always the most elegant.

[ # 9 ]
Bruce Wilcox - Aug 25, 2012:

Hi, CR. You have caught me out. Had I realized that providing system time functions would allow people to realize true AI was not involved, I would, of course, have omitted them.

Do both crunchy and smooth peanut butter work equally well? I prefer crunchy so that if I have leftovers I might eat it myself.

Does your system work under Microsoft 8?

Any true AI worth its nuts can handle generalized peanut butter input, so no worries there. Of course, it requires GEOS to operate, but that’s just incentive to upgrade your OS!

Sean Clitheroe - Aug 25, 2012:

Actually I should fit a wristwatch to my robotic arm ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/robotic-arm-kit-with-usb-pc-interface-266257 ).

The simplest solutions are always the most elegant.

That looks nifty! smile Brilliant solution.

[ # 10 ]

I actually got it working with voice control following this tutorial
http://www.aonsquared.co.uk/robot_arm_tutorial_1

[ # 11 ]

@Steve: Feel free to toss the reigns back any time you like, and with my blessings and thanks. I’m well able to cope with the task at this point. smile

@CR: I would sternly point my finger at you, shake it energetically at you, and admonish you soundly, if I didn’t already know that you were joking. raspberry

[ # 12 ]

Well, Dave, as long as your (virtual) pointing finger is back in top form, then the forum is in good hands. smile

login or register to react