AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Change bot name and fresh starts

I’m working with 2.9 under Ubuntu 12.04 on a 64 bit HP G62.

Some wicked beginner questions here. As I crawl through the User Manual again and the Tutorial, I’m starting to get the hang of things. I need an explanation of what, for lack of a better term to start this discussion, I’ll called “retained memory.” I came across this curiousity in trying to change the name of my bot from Harry to Inga. Following the User manual, I change the name of my bot to Inga instead of Harry Potter. That worked fine, but I noticed that it only changed the bot response, not the prompt or anything else, eg: what is your name? asked after :build 1 when changing that last line to Inga instead of Harry, gave me the response “My name is Inga.”

So I went back in and changed all instances of “harry” in both simpleTopic.top and simpleControl.top. The prompt stayed at Harry. Even after all the discussion that follows here, the prompt stayed at Harry.

QUESTION #1
How do I completely change my bot’s name?

In trying to figure this out, I did both :build 1 and :shutdown several times. After the first one or two, when asked “What is your name?” the bot replied “I don’t know what to say.” Remembering reading somewhere that the bot gets snippy after repeats, and as I begin to get a better handle on the mechanics of the bot, I realized that this probably had something to do with erasure after the bot was asked a question unless ^noerase was included. I also stumbled on the solution of erasing everything in the USER directory to get a fresh start as I play and learn.

QUESTION #2
Am I missing something? Is this the only way to get a “fresh start?”

regards, Richard

[ # 1 ]

Fresh starts:
0. terminate application, erase contents of user directory, run application (any login)
1. terminate application, run application and enter new login name (:shutdown is one way to terminate).
2. type :restart and then enter new login name
3. :reset (keeps same login name but restarts the user)
4. :build xx reset (rebuilds and then performs reset on current login)

if you truly edited all copies of harry to something like roger, then you will have a different bot if you did a
:build 1 reset   or any of the above after doing the build. I edited all, did a :build 1 reset, and the prompt changed to roger.

login or register to react