AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

How to connect chatbot with twitter?

Hi everybody, is there any way to connect a chatbot with twitter.
I’ve seen many twitter chatbot, but can’t fine any resource that explained how to connect a chatbot to twitter.

I have a twitter account that have more than 20 thousand follower and get repeatedly asked same questions over and over again, so instead of answering it manually. I want my chatbot able to answer the question automatically.

let’s say we want to connect a pandorabots with twitter. How to do that?

Thanks
Adez Aulia
http://twitter.com/AdezAulia

[ # 1 ]

Hi Adez,

Have you explored the twitter API documentation?

https://dev.twitter.com/docs
http://www.waynejohn.com/how-to-automate-tweets-with-the-twitter-api/

Vince

[ # 2 ]

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for the Reply.

I’ll look into it right know.
I’m not a programmer, so I think it will take some times before I can implement this to my twitter

[ # 3 ]

Perhaps this might help
http://blog.program-o.com/2012/08/aimee-a-twitter-chat-bot/

Vince

[ # 4 ]

Hi vincent, thanks again for the reply.

I am now installing the program-O and still testing it.
Will get back soon with any new developments

[ # 5 ]

I’m rather surprised that Marcus didn’t chime in on this one. In fact, I haven’t heard from Marcus in a while now. gulp

I think I’ll send him an email, just to make sure everything’s ok.

[ # 6 ]

Hi Dave,
One of the video on youtube that get’s me interested in this thread is from Marcus (on Chatbot conference)
He said about chatbot potential on platform like twitter.
I’ve tried to reach him via twitter without any replies so far

I hope everything is okay.

[ # 7 ]

I’m sure it is. I noticed that within seconds of posting my previous comments, I got an email notification that Marcus had posted in another thread, so I’m sure things are ok, and he’s probably just busy. smile

[ # 8 ]

Cool, looking forward to discuss this things with him smile

[ # 9 ]

Marcus and Dave would definitely be the guys to talk with on this!
Vince

[ # 10 ]
Vincent Gilbert - Jan 21, 2013:

Perhaps this might help
http://blog.program-o.com/2012/08/aimee-a-twitter-chat-bot/

Vince

Hi vincent,
I’m installing the program-O in my servers. I found problem which the robot didn’t respond to any message that I typed. It looks like a blank slate.

As comparison, I am using same AIML and test it in my pandorabots without any problems.
I’m writing a bug report to the program-O creator while investigating the problem myself.
Another friend which is a web programmer help me to set all instalation.

Hope i can get back with the result soon.

[ # 11 ]

I got your bug report, Adez, but I just sat down to my desk, and haven’t had a chance to read it yet. The current version of Program O isn’t quite as “newbie friendly” as I had hoped for, I’m afraid, and I’ve been seeing a pattern where certain settings have been “left out” during the install process, which causes the chatbot to fail to respond. This will be corrected in the future, where the install script will simply insert certain “default” values automatically, without requiring user input, but that can be changed in the admin interface. For now, though, let’s see what we can do to help. smile

First off, is your chatbot publicly available? It doesn’t have to be, but if it is, then I can usually see for myself what’s happening, and suggest solutions that are most likely to help. If you don’t wish to publicly release the URL, that’s fine, too. You can just use the “E-mail Dave” link below my avatar image, and send the URL to me, so I can investigate.

Anyway, here are some common settings that will affect the chatbot’s responses:

1.) Error Response Message: If this is left blank, and the chatbot encounters an internal error, it won’t return a response. The chatbot also uses this response if it fails to find a suitable reply in the database. I recommend using something like “I just don’t know how to respond to that!”

2.) Default Pickup Line Pattern: This is the category that the chatbot uses as a “fallback” if nothing else fits. The 2 most common patterns are “RANDOM PICKUP LINE” or “*” (without the quotes, of course). If you’re using any of the ALICE AIML sets as a “starting point” for your chatbot, then use “RANDOM PICKUP LINE”.

3.) Chat Lines To Display: This is probably the most common misconfiguration. If this value is left unset during the install process, it defaults to zero (0), which causes the chatbot to completely fail to respond. This value needs to be at least one (1).

Now, some settings that can help to make tracing problems with your chatbot a lot easier:

1.) Debug Output: Set this to “file” while working on your chatbot to create a “breadcrumb trail” that stores debugging information for each user. Once the chatbot is working the way you want it, this can be set to a different value.

2.) Debug Mode: This setting tells the script how much information to log. While troubleshooting your chatbot, set it to “show everything”, but be warned that this generates a LOT of information, so should never be used in a production environment.

Once all of these settings have been checked (and changed, if necessary), try your chatbot out again, and let me know what you find. I see that you’ve registered for the Program O forums while I was writing this post, so I’ll activate your account once I’m done here. smile

[ # 12 ]

Thanks Dave for the quick reply.

I’m a bit reluctant to give URL at this point because i create the AIML file in “Indonesian” language.
I will be very confusing for any english speaker to test this out.

I will create basic English standard just for the test and will let you know.

For now I will just try your suggestion on the chatbot settings. Will get back to you if there are any developments

Thanks
Adez

[ # 13 ]

Ok, no problem. However I must point out that language isn’t really a barrier for me. I don’t “speak” Indonesian, but I have Google Translate handy, and use it extensively with other languages (mainly Dutch). I’m finding that it’s not a bad way to learn a language, though sometimes there are syntax problems, but those are often minor, and cause for a bit of humor. smile

login or register to react