AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Getting started for really dumb People; Angela or Suzette bio

I want to mess around with a complete bot.  I read on one of the PDF’s(Paper- ARBOR-MakingItReal.pdf) from sourceforge that “We keep our bio on Google Docs so anyone can read it but only the head writer and project manager can edit it.”  I tried to search for this document but I guess that particular Angela bio is confidential?  Is their a complete bot from Mr. Wilcox or someone else that I can download and modify for educational purposes?  Is it already in the zip file?  The way I read the instructions I am supposed to :build 1 and change one of the file names.  I did and it works great and everything yet I think its not the complete bot, such as a complete Eliza bot.  If I re-download everything and not modify anything then execute :build 0 will it then run Eliza.  Her files are in the QUIBBLE FOLDER, right?  Thanks in advance for any help.  : 0

[ # 1 ]

One of the things that several members of the community have shown an interest in is starting a collaborative effort to create a “basic” ChatScript chatbot. I’ve talked to a few of these people offline (usually through Skype), who have shown an interest, but it’s going to take more than just “interest” to get something like this off the ground. For right now, there isn’t really all that much of a “basic” chatbot available, other than a few rules strung together to demonstrate how to create your own bot. I for one would like to see that change. smile

Anyone else willing to commit some time and skill to such a venture? cheese

[ # 2 ]

Well Mr. Bruce Wilcox said “The Angela bio is 25 pages long.”  (Paper- ARBOR-MakingItReal.pdf)  So I could do it in a month as long as my topics don’t conflict with each other or cancel each other out.  The thing is just so conceptually vast that it takes time to think about how the bio can be written in a way that is consistent.  Although the average intelligent human is not even 90% consistent in their communication, so I guess some error would make it more natural.  As a former teacher it helps me to learn when I have a “performance example” to play around with and look under the hood.  I understand thought that their is a legitimate basis for not releasing every bio someone has worked so hard on.  I wonder if anyone on the forum has a complete bot they would release or let people use for a limited time license? 

What are all the known chatscript bots?  Angela (most up to date)  Eliza, Bacteria Lila, Rex, Hippo, Roby, Harry, Gina, Santa, Larry, Suzette, Rosette,  Ginger, Tom and Ben (some from Outfit7).

[ # 3 ]

Oh, almost forgot, presumably a Susan B. Anthony(AIML? or Chatscript) demo from HistoChat, “Chatty Addie(iOS) Virtual Patient, ESL Chatbot(diff scripting version?)

What does :build 1 do compared to :build 2, :build 0 ?

[ # 4 ]

The Angela bio is proprietary to Outfit7 for their released commercial product (which is some 26K lines of script).
You can build a bot without a bio, but it won’t be particularly consistent in its attitudes.
Harry is “complete” in that he responds to everything. He is tiny, with only a simple topic. If one merely added say a hundred topics to him, he would be “complete” still.

As delivered, :build 0 builds basic world knowledge common potentially to all bots and :build 1 builds harry to add on to that.
The bot is a combination of both.  You can write your own set of build files such that :build 0 builds everything. Or whatever.
The two levels of build are intended so that you don’t have to rebuild everything whenever you make a small change. You can just move into the 0 layer stuff that is not changing and keep the evolving part in the 1 layer. Rebuilds are faster then because you only have to do :build 1 .

[ # 5 ]

What is with Suzette?

[ # 6 ]

Suzette is the proprietary property of Avatar Reality.

[ # 7 ]

Mr. Wilcox, it is truly an honor to be able to communicate with you on this forum.  I should probably avoid bothering you with such trivia, yet since you seem to enjoy the forum I will give it a shot.  Is chatscript “smart” in that is it now or do you plan in the future to connect it to Freebase, DBpedia, Semantic Web or even Cyc?  Or maybe to the “abovetopsecret.com” crowd that would be too dangerous, lol.  Thanks for applying so much of your creativity to create chatscript and for taking the time to ensure some manuals were written to learn it.

[ # 8 ]

I would not consider it “smart” even if it were connected to the things you mention.
As it stands now, I think Freebase and Cyc have existing servers for them, so one could write a script to talk to them if you wanted to. Can’t say about DBpedia and Semantic Web.  The next release of ChatScript will support a document mode, that can run the sentences of a text document thru whatever script you want. I’m working on reading ebooks and absorbing data via it.

[ # 9 ]

Thanks Mr. Wilcox, that sounds amazing.  Not to vulgarize, yet the possibilities makes me think, Doctor Noonien Soong.

[ # 10 ]

Steve Ki said, “I did and it works great and everything yet I think its not the complete bot, such as a complete Eliza bot.”  Oh good! The subject matter of this discussion now includes Elizabot. So therefore, Elizabot is on topic on this thread.  It is pleasant in nature, pleasing and agreeable to hear Elizabot paraphrased with words such as “works great” and “such as a complete Eliza bot”.  I agree with you about Elizabot, though some here may feel in another or different manner.  I would sincerely appreciate your valuable opinion of the new site: http://www.Elizabot.com

[ # 11 ]

I like Dave’s suggestion regarding members of the community contributing towards the creation of a “basic” Chatscript chatbot.  I would be interested in others suggestions regarding the top 10+ conversational topics that would make up a “basic” chatbot.

Suggestions:
Introductions, Biography, Favorites, Definitions (What is?, who is…?), Possessions(Car, house, cell phone, stuff), Travels, Hobbies, Movies/TV/Books, Sports, Reasoning/Math.

Perhaps a list of topics could be created and bot masters could volunteer to create a sample file for one of the topics.  The list could be posted somewhere showing which topics have been created, which are under development, and which still need to be created.

I believe that having a list of topics would be valuable for beginners and help others in their efforts to progress their chatbots from a “basic” chatbot to a “complete” chatbot.

[ # 12 ]

Alaric, I don’t wish to “burst your bubble”, but most of what you listed there as suggestions are the sorts of things you would want to aviod when building a “basic” chatbot. One of the biggest problems with the ALICE AIML set is that there are countless responses of that nature that mark any chatbot that uses that AIML set as it’s “core” as an “ALICE clone”. Even Steve Warswick’s award winning chatbot, Mitsuku, falls prey to the occasional “ALICE tell”, as I’m sure he’ll attest. While it would be very nice to have these sorts of responses already included with a “basic” chatbot, they’re also exactly the sorts of things that can either mark said chatbot as a “copycat”, or truly set it apart from everything else out there. What would be interesting, however, would be to create a set of “template” topics, and a semi-automated script that would ask certain questions based on the template in use, and then build the rules and responses for your chatbot based on the information provided. I wish I had more time for such a thing, because I think that would be a better way to make a contribution than trying to create some generic CS topics and rules, but I’m afraid I’ll have to spend the next couple of weeks “sitting on the sidelines and cheering”. Once things settle down for me, I’ll certainly look into building a “maker script”. smile

In the meantime, think about what topics and rules would be needed that are applicable to any chatbot in existence, and concentrate on them. cheese

[ # 13 ]

Dave, hasn’t Bruce already provided such a sample list of topics in his skeleton.top

If Alaric’s fairly generic list isn’t what you are looking for, can you provide some examples of what you were thinking about?
Is it e.g. what Pandorabot’s provides? Is there a way to see the list of topics ALICE has included without having to go through all the AIML files?

login or register to react