AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Help with AIML file

Okay so I added a few “<li></li>“‘s to a category in my biggest aiml file without changing anything else. I double and tripple checked to make sure I didn’t make any mistakes. However now my chatbot won’t publish because it gives me this message every time I try to publish it: “Compiling file “update.aiml”
  Error during compilation: XML not well-formed -
                  unrecognized content ‘’”

I downloaded the file and removed the category I changed, then re-uploaded the file. It still gives me that unrecognized content though. Any ideas how I can fix this or what might be wrong?

[ # 1 ]

Try using my AIML Validation Tool. It not only validates AIML files against the AIML 1.0 standard, it also gives detailed information about any validation errors, including line number, and where in the line the error is. smile

If the file passes validation, yet still isn’t accepted by Pandorabots, then I would suggest emailing them directly for help.

[ # 2 ]

Thank you so much! I’ll try that.

Edit: The program helps a lot, but trying to edit the file in a notepad makes it nearly impossible for me to find “on line 57408, column 0 ” for example.. so is there a program I can use, an Aiml editer or anything that will make it easy to find the lines it’s talking about?

[ # 3 ]

Try Notepad++
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

[ # 4 ]

Actually, the validater should not only give the line number, but also display the contents of said line.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen a Pandorabots update.aiml file fail validation. It’s somewhat common for these files to have categories with missing <template> tags for some reason. That’s probably the first thing I’d look for, to be honest.

[ # 5 ]

Unrecognised content often means the headers are wrong or you have some international type characters in there like letters with accents. If you have a PC with IE8 or earlier, you can load your file in there and it will show you what is wrong.

If you can’t find the error, you are more than welcome to email me it to me and I will try to find it for you.

[ # 6 ]

My plan was to delete the unrecognised content and re-upload the file without it, but it was just easier for me to upload a backed up version of the file from a month ago. Clarence will just have to re-learn some things. It works now. Thank you for the validation tool, i’ll use it with my other files!

login or register to react