AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Regarding machine specifications for the 2011 contest

[ # 16 ]

Hehe! I guess so.

[ # 17 ]
Robby Garner - Jul 5, 2011:
Steve Worswick - Jul 5, 2011:
Robby Garner - Dec 19, 2010:

I wager that if I can make it to the final 4 that none of you can beat me in the Loebner Prize Conetest.

So how did you do this year Robby?

Everything is going according to plan. I didn’t enter the contest. Therefore I didn’t make it to the final 4. Therefore, I win my wager. smile

Robby.

Your reasoning is unsound. You have not won or lost your wager yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_ponens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_tollens

There is more to logic than just TRUE and FALSE.
There is also DON’T KNOW and DON’T CARE.

[ # 18 ]
Andrew Smith - Jul 5, 2011:
Robby Garner - Jul 5, 2011:
Steve Worswick - Jul 5, 2011:
Robby Garner - Dec 19, 2010:

I wager that if I can make it to the final 4 that none of you can beat me in the Loebner Prize Conetest.

So how did you do this year Robby?

Everything is going according to plan. I didn’t enter the contest. Therefore I didn’t make it to the final 4. Therefore, I win my wager. smile

Robby.

Your reasoning is unsound. You have not won or lost your wager yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_ponens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_tollens

There is more to logic than just TRUE and FALSE.
There is also DON’T KNOW and DON’T CARE.

No Andrew… (polite, friendly debate)
Robby’s logic is sound.  Which should come as no surprise, since Robby’s chatbots are quite literally the stars in theaters internationally, such as the Broadway play “Hello Hi There” in New York, which sold out to cheering audiences, and not to mention Robby holds the Guinness World Record for most human chatbot.

DON’T KNOW and DON’T CARE are both supposition.  And supposition is not truth.

[ # 19 ]

So by your (also fallacious) reasoning, Barbara Streisand must always be correct because she stars in Broadway plays too?

DON’T CARE is a valid logical state which is used in truth tables to indicate that a value can be true or false. It is denoted as an X in most datasheets for logic components and is referred to as exactly that: DONT CARE.

DON’T KNOW is what a lay person might call NULL, which denotes the absence of a value (logical or otherwise) in a relational database and which is also a very useful concept to have in predicate calculus and other branches of mathematics.

Trying to solve some kinds of logical problems without these “values” would be like trying to perform arithmetic without negative numbers or zero. One good example that springs to mind is a puzzle that’s known as “the hat riddle”.

[ # 20 ]

This argument reminds me of the old joke that goes:

“What’s the difference between Ignorance and Apathy?”

“I don’t know, and I don’t care!”

[ # 21 ]

LOL, yes I couldn’t help thinking that there ought to be a joke in there somewhere when I wrote it, so here’s something for all the show biz types who are into chatbots but are apparently having difficulty with the underlying theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBv2CFTSWU

Enjoy!

[ # 22 ]

LOL, yes I couldn’t help thinking that there ought to be a joke in there somewhere when I wrote it, so here’s something for all the show biz types who are into chatbots but are apparently having difficulty with the underlying theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBv2CFTSWU

Enjoy!

How are you doing in the contest this year Andrew? Did you bet against me?

[ # 23 ]

While I recognise the value of promotional events such as this (I’m not a fan of RoboCup either, in spite of my strong interest in robotics) I’m afraid I can only take it about as seriously as I would an “Air Guitar” competition. I’m more interested in projects like Watson and Plows and creating a solid foundation for natural language understanding, rather than the stage magic that goes on here.

I don’t gamble.

[ # 24 ]

LOL

[ # 25 ]

Robby, you do realise that the forum software is emailing me your posts before you have finished editing them don’t you?

[ # 26 ]

@Andrew:

One nice part about your argument is that it gets into forward and
backwards chaining.  Good job Andrew, on relating the discussion to A.I.
Awesome compliment to Robby, comparing his chatbot to Barbara Streisand.

Seeing Robby Garner’s chatbots on stage in a play that an audience paid
a lot of money to see, and to see that live audience applaud Robby’s chatbots
on stage…

As far as I am concerned, that passes the Turing Test for me with flying colors,
and selling out theaters with a pair of intelligent machines on stage honors Alan Turing.

[ # 27 ]

Robby, you do realise that the forum software is emailing me your posts before you have finished editing them don’t you?

Thanks, I’ll be sure to leave them alone from now on.

[ # 28 ]

You don’t necessarily have to leave them alone, but I would offer the alternative of indicating in some form or other that you did, in fact, edit the post. smile

[ # 29 ]
Dave Morton - Jul 5, 2011:

You don’t necessarily have to leave them alone, but I would offer the alternative of indicating in some form or other that you did, in fact, edit the post. smile

I’m sorry, but I just thought twice about announcing to the world that I thought Andrew was an obnoxious humorless jerk. Instead, I tried at first to delete the post, but couldn’t find a delete button. So my apologies for not being forthcoming in my disintrest and lack of real enthusiasm about this forum.

My original wager was a joke (one guy got it), but the short sighted could’t parse because they are still apparently trying to impress upon somebody besides me their great intellectual prowess.

Robby.

< 1 2
2 of 2

login or register to react