AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Mac binaries?

Newbie here. Really like the look of ChatScript and would like to use it on my Mac. I’ve downloaded the distribution and see there’s a Mac directory with a makefile and Xcode stuff. But (to my shame) I’ve never done any actual development on the Mac and have no idea how to do the build.

Is there a set of precompiled Mac binaries anywhere that I could download? Thanks.

[ # 1 ]

OK, I’ve sorted myself out.

1) Copied MacCompile.sh from the MAC directory to the top level ChatScript directory
2) Ran MacCompile in a terminal window
3) Renamed the resulting binary (which was LinuxChatScript) to just ChatScript
4) In terminal window ran ./ChatScript local

That ‘local’ took me a while to work out. Without it the program started up but didn’t accept any input.

So I now have a working chat window talking to Harry grin No doubt I’ll have more questions later

[ # 2 ]
Trevor Mendham - Sep 23, 2015:

Newbie here. Really like the look of ChatScript and would like to use it on my Mac. I’ve downloaded the distribution and see there’s a Mac directory with a makefile and Xcode stuff. But (to my shame) I’ve never done any actual development on the Mac and have no idea how to do the build.

Is there a set of precompiled Mac binaries anywhere that I could download? Thanks.

Hey Trevor - if you have Xcode installed you should be able to open the Xcode project file from the finder by double clicking and then just build the default target by pressing the ‘play’ button which will also launch the result in debug mode, which you may or may not want.  This will also generate a ‘Product’ in some Xcode generated directory that is incomprehensible and also copy that binary to the root of your project as a binary named ‘MacChatScript’.  It’s super easy if you don’t dig around too much, but if you do dig around you can, it’s hard mode and turtles all the way down.  wink

If you want to install Xcode just use App Store.  Again, super easy.

Image Attachments
xcodechatscript.png

[ # 3 ]

It does not work for me, instead :(
I tried to follow the instructions in the readme file, the same reported by Trevor.
The file LinuxChatScript is not there, but there’s a file err.txt which contains a huge numbers of warnings.
I report one of its lines:

src/patternSystem.cpp:423:36: warning: conversion from string literal to ‘char *’ is deprecated [-Wc++11-compat-deprecated-writable-strings]
                      matched = (HandleRelation(word,”!=”,”“,false,id) & ENDCODES) ? 0 : 1;

because most (probably all) of them have the same worning.

I also wanted to try Xcode, but I don’t understand what Todd means by “the Xcode project file”. Which one is it?

Thanks for helping
Valentina

[ # 4 ]
Valentina Presutti - Oct 6, 2015:

I also wanted to try Xcode, but I don’t understand what Todd means by “the Xcode project file”. Which one is it?

Thanks for helping
Valentina

Ignore those instructions - Looks like the mac project files I sent got bundled incorrectly.  I’ll have to figure out what happened and post a fix.

[ # 5 ]

Another info is that a couple of days ago I upgraded to OS X 10.11
I am wondering if this can be part of the problem…

Any idea why when I run MacCompile.sh it does not produce LinuxChatScript while it fills the err.txt file? How can I fix this?

Valentina

login or register to react