AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Detecting emoticons in user input

Hey I’m sure there is a simple way to do this but I can’t seem to figure it out using the documentation or looking through forum posts.

I want to write patterns that pick up on emoticon inputs such as, “:)” or “:-)”

How do I need to format such patterns to avoid issues with that parens being misinterpreted as closing brackets for my patterns?

Thanks in advance for the help!

[ # 1 ]

Hi Ed. 

You will need to translate them.

There is a texting.txt in the /LIVEDATA folder.  There is already smile mapped to concept ~emohappy and :( mapped to concept ~emosad.  There is also a file called substitutes.txt in the same folder.  I tried to add wink mapped to emoticonwink and :’) mapped to emoticontears in either file and I executed a :build 0 followed by a :build Harry command but I was not able to get them to work.  Adding other abbreviations into the substitutes.txt file seems to work after a :build 0 command.  So there may be nuances to adding substitutes for punctuation that Bruce will need to elaborate on.  if you want to control the mapping for smile and :( you will most like need to edit or remove them from the texting.txt file so there is no conflict.

I tried using the existing ~emohappy and ~emosad concepts in a pattern but they did not seem to work so perhaps Bruce can explain how to use them or enable them for use in Harry.

[ # 2 ]

Thanks Alaric for your response! I had not seen these. 

Unfortunately, I am not able to get any of the existing ~emohappy/sad emoticon concepts to work in patterns either.

Bruce, would you happen to have a quick bit of insight for us here?

Thanks guys

[ # 3 ]

bug introduced into tokenizer. Will try to fix this weekend.

[ # 4 ]

Amazing. Thanks, Bruce!

[ # 5 ]

new CS version now up should fix emoticon parsing.

login or register to react