AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Just For Fun

[ # 16 ]

It’s the first step toward making a “talking bot”. I recently wrote a similar “proof of concept” GUI for ChatScript in Visual Basic, that takes your name, and a line of input, and gives a response back. Right now, all it does is output “You said: ” plus the user’s input, so it’s not very useful, but again, it’s just a first step. I plan on integrating both Speech Recognition and TTS into the GUI itself, and then having it interface with ChatScript, either directly, or through sockets, using CS’s server functionality.

[ # 17 ]
Dave Morton - May 27, 2011:

It’s the first step toward making a “talking bot”. I recently wrote a similar “proof of concept” GUI for ChatScript in Visual Basic, that takes your name, and a line of input, and gives a response back. Right now, all it does is output “You said: ” plus the user’s input, so it’s not very useful, but again, it’s just a first step. I plan on integrating both Speech Recognition and TTS into the GUI itself, and then having it interface with ChatScript, either directly, or through sockets, using CS’s server functionality.

You mean http://www.8pla.net/UnfinishedProofOfConcept/
belongs to you, Dave?

[ # 18 ]

Nope. It belongs to Tom (8pla.net), but it’s the same type of project that mine is. It’s just that his is web-based, whereas mine isn’t. smile

[ # 19 ]

Okay. I didn’t think so because I didn’t see link to your version in the thread. My remarks…

I don’t understand the “Proof of Concept”. It’s not a bot, and it doesn’t answer questions or respond to input, it seems to be just a voice generator… it repeats what you type. What’s the purpose?

... were directed toward 8pla.net, since that was the only version I was able to contact.

[ # 20 ]
Thunder Walk - May 27, 2011:

I don’t understand the “Proof of Concept”.  It’s not a bot, and it doesn’t answer questions or respond to input, it seems to be just a voice generator… it repeats what you type.  What’s the purpose?

Firstly, I would like to sincerely thank everyone for testing it.  Wow Dave!  That’s wonderful news, that it works in all those web browsers.  Thank you!

The focus is on writing a speech module in pure PHP that runs on shared webhosting. In its black box, you can type: “I am confused.”, “If you say so.”, “Not too sure.”, “Hello”, “Hi”, “Bye”, “Good bye”, “So long”, “Take care”, “How are you?”, “How are you doing?” , “How are you feeling?” or for a shortcut use its dropdown menu, then click its button to test it.  If it has a response, then it’s little light will flash red and it will speak. 

Thunder,  You’re right. Thank you for your support. A full bot is alot more work.  I know that.  This is currently the bare minimum, a forerunner to a bot.  It has a very limited set of responses. Similar to the hologram chatbot of Doctor Lanning in the movie iRobot. 

[ # 21 ]
8PLA • NET - May 28, 2011:
Thunder Walk - May 27, 2011:

I don’t understand the “Proof of Concept”.  It’s not a bot, and it doesn’t answer questions or respond to input, it seems to be just a voice generator… it repeats what you type.  What’s the purpose?

A full bot is alot more work.  I know that.  This is currently the bare minimum, a forerunner to a bot.  It has a very limited set of responses. Similar to the hologram chatbot of Doctor Lanning in the movie iRobot.

Might it be possible to add content from the free AIML files of the AAA Set at http://www.alicebot.org/aiml/aaa/ ?

[ # 22 ]

@Thunder Walk: Thanks for the compliment, by asking a question like that!

[ # 23 ]

I’ll be switching gears now, to try get ready for mailing, a bootable chatbot DVD,  to the Loebner Prize contest in the UK.

[ # 24 ]

You’re welcome.  I think if you’d answer it, it wouldn’t seem as though you were avoiding the question.  I just thought that since you replied in a previous post, “A full bot is alot more work,” that there might be an easy way of to acquire content… and to provide a better demonstration.

[ # 25 ]
Thunder Walk - May 29, 2011:

You’re welcome.  I think if you’d answer it, it wouldn’t seem as though you were avoiding the question.  I just thought that since you replied in a previous post, “A full bot is alot more work,” that there might be an easy way of to acquire content… and to provide a better demonstration.

A proof of concept is a plan. A part of this plan is avoidance of future obstacles that rank lower than present obstacles which make it improbable in the future.

[ # 26 ]
8PLA • NET - May 29, 2011:

A proof of concept is a plan. A part of this plan is avoidance of future obstacles that rank lower than present obstacles which make it improbable in the future.

I simply wondered why you wouldn’t add free content when it would be so simple.  I know you’re familiar with AIML.  But, that’s okay.  I understand what you’re doing.

[ # 27 ]

I’m writing a new Robot Totally PHP

http://79b.org/robot.totally.php/

It does not use a database, and the script is currently under 350 lines
of standard, very readable, clean PHP code in a single source file.

[ # 28 ]
8PLA • NET - Jun 7, 2011:

I’m writing a new Robot Totally PHP

http://79b.org/robot.totally.php/

It does not use a database, and the script is currently under 350 lines
of standard, very readable, clean PHP code in a single source file.

Have you ever made a bot with content?  Next time, please make one out of two tin cans, a piece of string, and a pound of butter.  And after that, please make a dozen more.

[ # 29 ]

>> what is your name?
<< Have you asked such questions before?

>> are you alive?
<< Oh, I are?

>> what is 2 plus 2?
<< What is it you really want to know?

Sorry but I think this needs a lot of work.

[ # 30 ]

I think we’ve seen enough examples of 8pla’s work to know he is more interested in interface development for multiple platforms than in content generation. Why do people continue to chide him for having low-content bots when he specifically states what they are (and are not)? It’s not like he’s trying to mislead anyone into thinking these are competition/production level bots.

If you are only interested in content generation, then just don’t look at his stuff, unless he specifically states that his goal for a given project has some unique content component.

Really, all this griping is starting to sound like a broken record.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 18

login or register to react