AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Getting started.

I’ve just started to play with CS and am stuck.

Following the directions in the documentation I ran the server.bat file and this is what I get :

C:UsersmeDownloadsChatScript_1.21chatscript>ChatScript port=1024
ChatScript Version 1.21

Began server 1.21 on port 1024 at Sat Jul 16 20
:54:46 2011
Read 305
,792 Dictionary entries
Read 303
,986 Dictionary facts
Read 13 Build1 facts

Failed to find set 
~SYSTEM_INFINITIVE_FOLLOWS POS tagger incomplete because bu
ild 0 not yet done
Failed to find set ~SYSTEM_INFINITIVE_FOLLOWS POS tagger incomplete because bu
ild 0 not yet done
Failed to find set ~SYSTEM_OF_VERBS POS tagger incomplete because build 0 not
yet done
Failed to find set ~SYSTEM_ADJECTIVE_OBJECT POS tagger incomplete because buil
d 0 not yet done
Failed to find set ~SYSTEM_ADJECTIVE_OBJECT POS tagger incomplete because buil
d 0 not yet done
Failed to find set ~ADJECTIVE_MODIFYING_ADVERBS POS tagger incomplete because
build 0 not yet done
Failed to find set ~SYSTEM_MORE_MOST POS tagger incomplete because build 0 not
 yet done
Read 168 pos rules
Concept sets
Free space
77,452,700 bytes  FreeFacts496,001
Server ready 

Not sure about those errors, but went on regardless and then ran the LocalClient.bat

Then I put in my user name and after that all it says it ‘I don’t know what to say’.

Now I understand that there is no plug and go solution here and we have to build the bot still, but when I ask ‘What is your name’ I get the same ‘I don’t know what to say.

Have I missed some step ?

I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

Also, about the TOPIC directory, presumably that’s where we put our chat scripts ?

Sorry if I am being thick, but could someone kindly nudge me in the right direction ?

Many thanks !

[ # 1 ]

Try this before you run the server itself for the first time, Freddy:

1.) run ChatScript.exe as a CLI program first, by double-clicking on the EXE file
2.) Enter your name (or any other word or phrase that suits you, for that matter) when it asks.
3.) Type “:build 0[Enter]”
4.) wait till the prompt comes back.
5.) Type “:build (insert bot name here, default is 1)[Enter]”
6.) Run the server.bat file. You should be all set.

Let me know if that doesn’t do it for you. smile

[edit] This list should now be correct. There were typos, previously. I’ve verified this instruction list, and it should work with no issues. Sorry. smile [/edit]

[ # 2 ]

Thanks for the swift reply Dave.  I thought it best to move to the official thread in case it helps others too.

I run chatscript.exe okay but straight away it asks me for my name.

When I type build 0 at any opportunity it just thinks I am talking to it and does nothing else.

[ # 3 ]

Oops? I forgot about that. Type in your name at the first prompt, then proceed as instructed… ACK!!!

I’m sorry, Freddy. The command you want isn’t “build x”, it’s “:build x”. My bad.

I forgot to prepend the colon to the command. Silly Dave!

[edit] I’ve corrected my initial post, to reflect the correct commands and procedures. [/edit]

[ # 4 ]

Hehe no problem.  Ok that command worked but it’s still the same.  I run server.bat then run localClient again and again I keep asking ‘What is your name ?’ and it’s always ‘I don’t know what to say.’

Could it be an OS thing ?

BTW I built 0 and 1 - that’s Harry and Georgia yes ?

[ # 5 ]

Actually, both of those bots are essentially the same, with the returned name being the only difference. Try looking in the USERS directory and deleting any files with the name you gave in them, or just do “:build 1” again, and give a different name.

As I said, there’s VERY little to the “basic” bot. I’ll zip up Morti’s files for you, along with instructions, and email them right now.

If anyone else wants a copy of the zip file, email me with an address to send it to. smile

[ # 6 ]

That worked thanks.  Albiet if I ask him his name again it’s the I don’t know what to say again.  Seems like a bug there.

Thanks for sending Morti.

I am calling it a night now, will have another go in the morning.  Thanks very much smile

[ # 7 ]

The ChatScript engine is designed NOT to repeat itself. When it gives a response, it “marks” that response for exclusion from the remaining responses unless you script it not to. So while it’s irritating, it’s not really a “bug”. :( It’s easy to “fix” though. Look for “repeat()” in the documentation. smile

[ # 8 ]

That seems slightly odd to me but thanks - I would have thought the default behaviour would be to repeat, like if you ask a person something once and they don’t hear you you have to repeat yourself.  It seems more natural to me. I’ll ‘fix’ him wink

[ # 9 ]
Dave Morton - Jul 16, 2011:

Try this before you run the server itself for the first time, Freddy:

1.) run ChatScript.exe as a CLI program first, by double-clicking on the EXE file
2.) Enter your name (or any other word or phrase that suits you, for that matter) when it asks.
3.) Type “:build 0[Enter]”
4.) wait till the prompt comes back.
5.) Type “:build (insert bot name here, default is 1)[Enter]”
6.) Run the server.bat file. You should be all set.

Let me know if that doesn’t do it for you. smile

[edit] This list should now be correct. There were typos, previously. I’ve verified this instruction list, and it should work with no issues. Sorry. smile [/edit]

hi
i completed all the steps and its working fine and i also understand the process of topic by reading the documents but before start hard working on it i want to known can we attach face and voice recognition with chat script i want stand alone chat bot
and yes one more thing if you dont mind will you please also send me morti’s files
my email id is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

thanks

[ # 10 ]

hi
chatscript is working fine and i also understand the process of topic making by reading the documents
but before start hard working on it i want to known can we attach face and voice recognition with chat script i want stand alone chat bot

thanks

[ # 11 ]

If you can program then it’s possible yes.  The CS engine is just that an engine, so you just use that for the conversation and build whatever you want on top of it.

Correct me if I am wrong please Dave.

[ # 12 ]
Roger Davie - Jul 22, 2011:

If you can program then it’s possible yes.  The CS engine is just that an engine, so you just use that for the conversation and build whatever you want on top of it.

Correct me if I am wrong please Dave.

oh good thats really good now the question is that how to i attach face with it and where to build a face for it

and tell me is it possible to we can teach words meaning to a bot

[ # 13 ]

There’s a multitude of ways to build a head.  The cheapest way is to use something like Blender and model a head.  Try Googleing for ‘3D Modellers’.

As to how you attach a head to it, I think that is outside of the scope of this topic and would mean teaching you how to program.  I suggest you have a look at the available programming languages.  You can start programming for free by using the Microsoft Visual Studio Express editions.

And it depends too on if you want a 3D head or a 2D head.  There are plenty of 3D engines around… Google 3D engines.

You need to do a lot of research basically smile

[ # 14 ]

I am trying to compile and ran the whole project on linux, but i have a lot of issues.
When i also tried to fix some of the code for working with OS X, the whole system was procceeding but after a while the building was failing.
Do i need windows to run chatscript or not?
The way i saw the code, it could be platform independent cause it is full c++!
I saw some “include win32”, but i am not yet sure if it is so important or could i avoid this.
Thank you very much for your responce.

[ # 15 ]

ChatScript currently compiles for Windows and Linux. 
Appropriate includes and code changes are via
#ifdef WIN32
#else
#endif

1 2 > 
1 of 2

login or register to react