AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Source Code - the movie

Not long ago I rented “Source Code” on DVD and was pleasantly surprised.  I think it’s the sort of movie people interested in AI would like.

I could post all of the links to movie trailers and spoiler sites where they practically show you the entire movie and tell you all about it—including the ending… but, if you’re anything like me, you might like to just watch it without any preconceived ideas.  The surprises make the movie.

Some of it doesn’t make sense, some of it breaks the laws of physics, and some of it even seems to violate the rules set down by the movie, itself.  Still, I enjoyed it.

If you’ve seen it, or after you see it, let me know what you think.

[ # 1 ]

Also saw this recently and have to agree it is interesting enough premise and screenplay to make it an enjoyable riff on the ‘recorded memories’ situation.  Little thin on actual AI, but a good movie.

[ # 2 ]
Carl B - Aug 27, 2011:

Also saw this recently and have to agree it is interesting enough premise and screenplay to make it an enjoyable riff on the ‘recorded memories’ situation. Little thin on actual AI, but a good movie.

I agree.

Most of the “experts” in the field seem to agree that true AI, or anything reflective of the human mind, won’t be achieved anytime soon because the brain is so complex. The questions the movie raises for me are, could an integration of natural intelligence along with artificial intelligence be a stepping stone toward that goal, and how ethical would that be?

[ # 3 ]

Thanks Thunder.  I’ll have to check that movie out.

A TV show I just discovered is ALPHAS on the SyFy channel.

The latest episode stars Summer Glau (Fire Fly and Terminator).

But, my favorite ALPHAS character, is a young autistic woman

who invented her own language, making a series of clicks and

distinct sounds on everyday objects, which is then translated into

text to speech on a computer.  Wow!  That’s good Science Fiction!

One way this may directly relate to A.I. is something familiar to

AIML experts ... Markup Languages .... Text To Speech may use a

markup language too.  One used in Linux is called SABLE, and

another is called VoiceXML.  They are both extensive like AIML.

login or register to react