AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Pakistan bans ‘obscene’ words from text messages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15793721

Cell phone carriers in Pakistan say they have been told to ban the use of about 1,500 words deemed indecent or offensive in text messages.

Some of the allegedly banned words
Athlete’s foot
Flatulence
lavender
mango
Jesus Christ
Back door
Bewaquf (foolish)
Bakwaas (nonsense)
Wuutang (a presumed reference to American rap group the Wu-Tang Clan)

The banned list includes every conceivable incorrectly spelled version of some words while, if spelled correctly, the word is not banned.

Don’t ya just love bureaucracy?

[ # 1 ]

Phew! Finally, “lavender” has been banned. I have yet to come across a more obscene word(!) wink

[ # 2 ]

Well, there is Belgium, Steve. cheese

[ # 3 ]

I was holding out for “Monkey crotch,” seems like that comes up quite a bit in everyday conversation.

[ # 4 ]

They will just become a laughing stock LOL

[ # 5 ]

While not yet applied to IM/SMS, many Western forums and comments sections of major news outlets etc. already ban many many “offensive” words including “Republicant” and “Koch”... stupidity is not confined to Pakistan.

[ # 6 ]

Some of the worst language and offensive conversations my bots encounter come from people in countries where the government is strongly associated with religion.  It’s as if the people are so oppressed that when the can talk with anyone outside the boundaries of their culture, even a chatbot, that they practically explode with off-color words and perverted ideas.

Coincidentially, they’re also the people most likely to slip off-topic spam links in their post or their sig at a couple of forums I’m familiar with.

[ # 7 ]
Dave Morton - Nov 19, 2011:

I hope Jan Bogaerts doesn’t hear you say that smile

[ # 8 ]

Well, in case there’s actually someone who isn’t aware of the connection, this page should explain it nicely. smile

And Jan, this was not, in any way, shape, form or fashion directed at you. cheese

[ # 9 ]

Hehe! I knew what you meant. smile

[ # 10 ]
Steve Worswick - Nov 19, 2011:
Dave Morton - Nov 19, 2011:

I hope Jan Bogaerts doesn’t hear you say that smile

We take pride in being surrealists, why do you think we choose that name!:lol:

login or register to react