AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

BINA 48 Humanoid Tutor will be Keynote Speaker at US eLearning Conference

At CodeBaby, we’re considering attending this conference due to a great audience. However, what’s made this that much more attractive is the fact Bina, a “social robot” will be giving one of the Keynotes.

She looks like her owner, the real Bina. Terasem is the foundation that is studying AI and Bina. From this YouTube video, she seems like she misses on some questions, but may actually be growing information, comparing her knowledge to SIRI, not true AI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd63Ztqyw50

[ # 1 ]

hi, Audrey, and welcome to chatbots.org! smile

What a fascinating video! I also found it a bit “spooky”. For me, Bina-48 lies smack dab in the middle of the “uncanny valley”, and I’m not quite certain how I would feel about the possibility of placing my “essence”, as it were, into a computer in that way. Bear in mind, however, that this is just my opinion. I’m sure others would be thrilled at the prospect. smile

I think it would be great to attend the conference, though. It would be interesting to see how Bina fares.

[ # 2 ]

Very creepy to me big surprise

I think non human characters are far less repellent, for example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSmp3bjP_0

Better than zombies anyway wink

By the way, if this is state of the art, then maybe Kurzweil should add a couple of years on for the advent of the Singularity wink

[ # 3 ]

Dave - Thanks Dave! I totally agree with your uncanny valley assessment , she’s creepy looking. I think you don’t have to go all the way and make an exact replica of the inspiration, if you will.

Roger, Leo is so cute, he looks like a gremlin. I think the Bina is probably not the most state of the art. I know this robot stuff is off topic for this forum but it kind of fits. In the future I could see that conversational AI would be programmed into true to life chatbots outside the of the computer.

Check this out, this one is supposed to be True AI mixed with some program responses. This robot looks very human but not creepy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ySljCcnq4o&feature=youtube_gdata

However, if I could have my own robot, I would choose Rosie from the Jetsons.grin

Image Attachments
Rose.jpeg

[ # 4 ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ySljCcnq4o&feature=youtube_gdata

“I like kids CAUSE we can play”

It would be great if they would learn English before they start developing the robots language skills (knowing what ‘cause’ is versus ‘because’.... just saying… they would have a much better chance of success smile

I like dude there with such an impressed ‘glow’ on…. as if it was actually impressive and just passed a Turing Test or something… hilarious!

Audrey Dalton - Jun 20, 2012:

I think the Bina is probably not the most state of the art.

If it is. .. we’re in real trouble big surprise

[ # 5 ]
Victor Shulist - Jun 20, 2012:
Audrey Dalton - Jun 20, 2012:

I think the Bina is probably not the most state of the art.

If it is. .. we’re in real trouble big surprise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhyRBraR6pw

I don’t think we’re in all that much trouble. wink

[ # 6 ]

Oh no their (misspelt to annoy Victor) going to take over the would with cuteness, catchy songs and hilarious choreography !!!  I don’t know if I will sleep tonight.

On a side note; Audrey, this is the first time I have seen CodeBaby and I think it is pretty cool smile

[ # 7 ]

mispelling isn’t the thing, I do my share no doubt.. but I’m willing to bet the developer thinks ‘because’ and ‘cause’ are the same.  That dancing robot is pretty funny Dave!

[ # 8 ]

Yeah I know what you mean - actually I made an unintentional mistake there :

would instead of world….

[ # 9 ]

yeah typos happen on here all the time, that’s pertty normal.  When I write a lengthy reply on here I can’t afford the time to proof read.

BUT . .here they are giving a demo .  .. no doubt mostly scripted at that ..  .and they have the thing say “love kids CAUSE” .  ..  doesn’t give much hope !!!!

that huge of a screw up ..for people claiming to some day master NLU in a robot. . . my god . .  it’s like an accountant that makes frequent errors adding 1 and 1 !!!

Now I understand the importance of handling errors, my GLI project handles when users incorrectly use ‘to’, ‘too’, ‘two’ - based on context (example: realizing user probably meant ‘two’ if they said “I bought too cars)    But I think too many people place too much emphasis on this initially, and get lost in that complexity, instead of doing first things first.  Master with proper language first, then work your way out, handling more and more complex errors as you go—work your way up ... build a car that just drives on the road first…. worry about the flying cars later smile

[ # 10 ]

yeah typos happen on here all the time, that’s pertty normal.  When I write a lengthy reply on here I can’t afford the time to proof read.

If I don’t proof read, it basically comes out like:
fi ik no prof lees, em prblms

you get my point.

On a side note: I’ve been thinking about a possible spelling ‘filter’ that is based on the phonetics of a word: one of the basic problems in English spelling is the fact that it is not written phonetically, but rather more by convention (take: two, to, too: all are pronounced the same way, but not written). If you first transform the words in how they might be pronounced, you can probably pick up some spelling errors. It probably also creates some other issues.

[ # 11 ]

That’s where a “semantic spell-check” would come in handy, I think. smile Sounds like a practical application if a type of AI that would prove quite usefull, yes?

[ # 12 ]

Jan, yes, very good point.  Taking into account phonetics is a very good idea.  It’s on the (exceedingly long) ‘to-do’ list.

And Dave, yes, I basically DO have semantic spell check working . ..well, more like ‘semantic incorrect spelling tolerance
‘.

[ # 13 ]

R2D2, C3PO, BINA ... CIVA from CodeBaby…
Seems four letter robot names may be the most popular.

[ # 14 ]

Agree, 4 letters are quite catchy grin

[ # 15 ]

What do you get when you drop the “V” from CIVA?

TOP SECRET brainchild of a government agency, or an urban legend?

Reference: http://codebaby.com/virtual-assistant

“CIVA matches the emotional state of your website visitors ...”

If you tell us about mind reading technology of Codebaby, will you have to kill us?

1 2 > 
1 of 2

login or register to react