AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

An example of a thinking machine?

Poll
In this example, is Skynet-AI thinking?
Yes 5
Yes, but... (explain below) 1
No, but if it did... (explain below) it would be. 6
No, machines can’t/don’t/will never think. 2
Total Votes: 14
You must be a logged-in member to vote

[ # 166 ]

Has anyone noticed that when these so called “true-Ai” claims come along, the owners tend to put obstacles in the way so people cannot test them easily? One was only available in Spanish, Arthur’s claimed to be in Russian. This one is only available in an operating system that has yet to be released.

I want the app to be synonymous with the word “Windows 8”

And I want to win the lottery but that won’t happen either.

[ # 167 ]

@Genesis: Do you know many applications that were able to accomplish what you are after, with previous windows releases (like, say vista or Win7)?
Which language set have you used: did you go the HTML5/javascript or C#/xaml way for building your metro app? Isn’t it possible to take out the core and convert it to a web or desktop application?

[ # 168 ]

Let’s take continued discussions of Genesis’ project back to his project thread.

[ # 169 ]
Jan Bogaerts - Jul 31, 2012:

@Merlin: would you consider your bot to be creative?

I would like to explore this tangent a bit more. Could any AI, regardless of its programming ever be thought to have “imagination”?

If so, what would AI imagination look like? Does brute force creation with a scoring metric count?

Thoughts?

[ # 170 ]

Here’s a good exercise: in 1 minute, write down as many things as you can come up with that you can do with a sock. Then think about how you just did that and put it into an algorithm (multiple algorithms possible).
Initial result would be rather simple at first, but things like programming languages are really suitable for testing this: give the AI a programming task to complete (like ‘write an application that will display the current weather for any city that is entered in a textbox’).
Just an idea.

[ # 171 ]
Steve Worswick - Aug 1, 2012:

Has anyone noticed that when these so called “true-Ai” claims come along, the owners tend to put obstacles in the way so people cannot test them easily? One was only available in Spanish, Arthur’s claimed to be in Russian. This one is only available in an operating system that has yet to be released.

I want the app to be synonymous with the word “Windows 8”

And I want to win the lottery but that won’t happen either.

Win 8 has already been released bro. Get with the times. Dev preview, consumer preview and we are now on release preview.

It ain’t my fault if someone can’t afford 40 dollars to upgrade their os.
Test out? Lol. There are people whose goals are actually to develop technological innovation that will net them millions, even billions of dollars. Not just going through the motions with a chatbot that is a hobby.

Skynet for example is a hobby chatbot, he competes in competitions, but there are no plans from it’s creator right now to go commercial. But just like any other chatbot, it’s a chatbot with no value. Since it has no real purpose to serve.

There are chatbots that are geared towards a purpose and therefore generate real businesses that make money. In the same way, this app is not free, right now I have it costing 19 dollars to buy and $10 a month for server fees. Ofcourse there is the 7 day free trial made available by Microsoft. So you certainly can test out apps before you buy.

[ # 172 ]

I don’t plan on upgrading my OS just to try out your vaporware. Similarly, I don’t plan on learning Russian or Spanish to try out other peoples’ works.

Do you have any examples of dialog with your program or any examples of what it can do that is so much better than anything anybody else is doing?

You seem like a bit of an ass to me and I look forward to October. Let me know how many millions and billions you make.

[ # 173 ]
Steve Worswick - Aug 1, 2012:

I don’t plan on upgrading my OS just to try out your vaporware.

You seem like a bit of an ass to me and I look forward to October. Let me know how mnay millions and billions you make.

haha y u so mad cause someone else is striving for greatness and you are not?

[ # 174 ]
Genesis - Aug 1, 2012:

Skynet for example is a hobby chatbot, he competes in competitions, but there are no plans from it’s creator right now to go commercial.

Genesis, feel free NOT to talk about things you have no knowledge of, sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

I HAVE been in commercial discussions. The purpose of Skynet-AI is to prototype, debug, and demonstrate the technology. In fact, if anyone reading this post is interested in a serious commercial discussion, feel free to send me an email.

Genesis - Aug 1, 2012:

But just like any other chatbot, it’s a chatbot with no value. Since it has no real purpose to serve.

This really shows how little you know about the industry. Many of the automated customer service software packages have their roots in chatbot technology and competed in the Chatterbox Challenge.

[ # 175 ]
Merlin - Aug 1, 2012:
Genesis - Aug 1, 2012:

Skynet for example is a hobby chatbot, he competes in competitions, but there are no plans from it’s creator right now to go commercial. But just like any other chatbot, it’s a chatbot with no value. Since it has no real purpose to serve.

Genesis, feel free NOT to talk about things you have no knowledge of, sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

I HAVE been in commercial discussions. The purpose of Skynet-AI is to prototype, debug, and demonstrate the technology. In fact, if anyone reading this post is interested in a serious commercial discussion, feel free to send me an email.

I was gonna put “as far as i know”
Sorry about that.

[ # 176 ]

I think over time we can “simulate” creativity. However, whether anyone would actually believe the computer is being creative may fall into the same kind of philosophy discussion as whether or not a computer can “think”.

[ # 177 ]

@Genesis: Have you released any software before?

[ # 178 ]
Merlin - Aug 1, 2012:

I think over time we can “simulate” creativity. However, whether anyone would actually believe the computer is being creative may fall into the same kind of philosophy discussion as whether or not a computer can “think”.

I have a feeling that at some point, creative machines will far outperform humans. Of course, that wont change anything about people’s willingness to except non-human/machine-based entities as intelligent.
For me, creativity is just an algorithm, one that I’ve been using since childhood. I think I’m at a stage to finally write it out.

[ # 179 ]
Merlin - Aug 1, 2012:

This really shows how little you know about the industry. Many of the automated customer service software packages have their roots in chatbot technology and competed in the Chatterbox Challenge.

First of all, you have to learn to read everything someone says completely before running off to make a post and push the submit button.

I clearly said “There are chatbots that are geared towards a purpose and therefore generate real businesses that make money.”

This includes “automated customer service software packages.”

I said your chatbot had no value because it wasn’t purposed. as you said yourself, its a prototype to demonstrate the technology.

[ # 180 ]
Genesis - Aug 1, 2012:

haha y u so mad cause someone else is striving for greatness and you are not?

I guess I’m just allergic to bulls**t. We get clowns like yourself passing through here on an almost weekly basis. People who claim to have had major breakthroughs, yet when we ask to see any sort of demo or examples, suddenly they provide none or say that the programs are in foreign languages or need an opertaing system upgrade.

The last guy reckoned he had a program that could pass the Turing test 100% of the time, which I thought was strange as surely such a major breakthrough would have made the news. It was only when it got down to details, we discovered that he had invented his own test where the judge told the computer what to say!

However, if October comes and passes and people the world over are discussing your vaporware, I will apologise.

‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›
12 of 15

login or register to react