AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Problems with system function ^disable() 

I am brand new to the ChatScript program but I feel as though I have a basic grasp of how it works.

I have used many of the system functions and I can’t seem to get ^disable(BLAH) to work the way I want it to work. I wanted to make sure I am interpreting the manual correctly. An example of my script:

topic: ~CONTROLA ()
t: testing one
t: testing two
t: testing three ^disable(ORANGE.COOL)
t: testing four
t: testing five ^addtopic(ORANGE)

topic: ~ORANGE ()
t: COOL () oranges are awesome
t: oranges make me sad

The desired output would be (in response to each visitor statement):

testing one
testing two
testing three
testing four
testing five
oranges make me sad

The idea is to issue a gambit output and then disable a gambit in a different topic (perhaps because the gambit in the other topic would be redundant). The ^addtopic() function is just for ease of testing to see if it worked since it will go immediately to that topic’s next gambit.

Right now, I am getting:

testing one
testing two
testing four
testing five
oranges are awesome
oranges make me sad

This tells me that the function is not being called and (presumably) causing the whole gambit to fail, not even issuing output.

Is this just a problem with my syntax? I’ve tried just disabling the topic only (without the topic/label pair) and it still gives the same output, so I’m wondering if the function itself is broken or if I’m just completely misinterpreting what it is supposed to do. I promise I have scoured the manual up and down trying to determine this answer!

Thank you in advance for taking a look at this! I really appreciate the amount of support you guys offer and the program is very useful.

[ # 1 ]

Hi, Brian (why do I have this incredible urge to call you Austin? raspberry) and welcome to chatbots.org!

I’m afraid I’m unable to answer your question myself, but I’m sure that someone here can, and I’m also sure that it won’t be long before someone does. I just wanted to greet you, and to welcome you, which I now have, so I’ll go sit in my corner now. cheese

[ # 2 ]

Current documentation states that ^disable takes 2 arguments.

You want ^disable(rule ORANGE.COOL)

though currently you will probably get a warning message out of the system on the ORANGE topic reference which you can ignore and which I will correct in a new version shortly.

login or register to react