AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

GLIBC version issue with release 2.95b

Hi,

I just tried running the new 2.95b version on my Redhat Linux server and it gave me the following messages:

/usr/local/chatscript/LinuxChatScript32: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.9’ not found (required by /usr/local/chatscript/LinuxChatScript32)
/usr/local/chatscript/LinuxChatScript32: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7’ not found (required by /usr/local/chatscript/LinuxChatScript32)

My current GLIBC version is 2.5.  When I tried to build the source directly, I get the following errors:
==========================================================
src/mainSystem.cpp:1: error: stray ‘\357’ in program
src/mainSystem.cpp:1: error: stray ‘\273’ in program
src/mainSystem.cpp:1: error: stray ‘\277’ in program
src/textUtilities.cpp:1: error: stray ‘\357’ in program
src/textUtilities.cpp:1: error: stray ‘\273’ in program
src/textUtilities.cpp:1: error: stray ‘\277’ in program
src/topicSystem.cpp: In function ‘void WriteBinaryKeywords(const char*, const char*)’:
src/topicSystem.cpp:1480: warning: passing NULL to non-pointer argument 1 of ‘void Write32(unsigned int, FILE*)’
==========================================================

I am a bit stuck here with the update. Any help is appreciated!  Thanks

[ # 1 ]

Francis, Bruce is currently adrift, somewhere in Europe (lucky bas… Er, person!), and won’t be back till the weekend, If you can hang on till, say, Monday, that will give him the time needed to rest up from what I expect is an exciting, but draining, experience. smile

[ # 2 ]

OK. Redhat is not compatible with its glib library (there’s a REDHAT bug report on it).

So you’d have to recompile. Your recompile messages make no sense to me whatsoever.

There are 2 ways to try to recompile.

1. stand in src and type make server (which makes server/client). This is currently preferred because it uses evserver code which is faster as a server, more reliable under heavy load, and can scale almost linearly across multiple cores.
2. oldtype using the LINUX shell command from the main directory, which doesnt use evserver library.

What did you do?

[ # 3 ]

It appears that there are two files (mainSystem.cpp, textUtilities.cpp) that contain invisible invalid characters. After I cleaned them out (using cut and past) I was able to compile (both using the LINUX shell command and the new make method).  However, I am encountering new problems with each of the compiling method.

LINIX shell compile
=============
Linking appeared to have failed. Here’s the last few messages from the ‘err.txt’ file:

/tmp/ccAxFur1.o:(.bss+0x8bc): multiple definition of `terse’
/tmp/ccCDhQn9.o:(.bss+0x8bc): first defined here
/tmp/ccAxFur1.o:(.bss+0x281c): multiple definition of `dayOfWeek’
/tmp/ccCDhQn9.o:(.bss+0x281c): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Make server compile
=============
Successful compile and link. Upon running the ‘chatscript’ executable I get the following message:

evsrv_init() failed, exiting

I am running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga)

Thanks in advance!

[ # 4 ]

Update: Using the 2.96 version I was able to build (make server) (after cleanup mainSystem.cpp, textUtilities.cpp non-printing characters) and run successfully. Thanks!

[ # 5 ]

Those files compile just fine under windows and under Ubantu Linux.  From your description, I’d guess that the “non-printing” characters occupy the 1st 3 characters of the files, and are in fact the BOM (byte order mark) that indicates the file is a UTF8 file.  I’m surprised your compiler isn’t accepting files marked as UTF8. The files contain utf8 printing characters in comments, which is why they were saved in uf8 format.  Instead of having to edit them in the future, you could equivalently open them in some text editor and try to save them in a text-only or ascii format.

[ # 6 ]

Thanks for the advise. I don’t really develop under C++/Linux platform so the issue baffled me before. I am just happy that they compiled now so I can run the new version smile

login or register to react