AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

PAN2014 Author Profiling

This is a competition to see who can write the best software that can analyse text from a training corpus and learn how to identify the age and gender of the author of some previously unseen text. There is a cash prize of 300 euros for the winner.

http://www.uni-weimar.de/medien/webis/research/events/pan-14/pan14-web/author-profiling.html

While this isn’t exactly a chat bot contest it does seek to advance the capabilities of a very important aspect of chat bot software development.

Also, 300 euros.

[ # 1 ]

Given a document, what’re its author’s traits?
This task is concerned with predicting an author’s demographics from her writing. For example, an author’s style may reveal her age and gender.

Interesting, although I wouldn’t know where to begin, the texts are pretty complex and lengthy to parse. Sounds like a job for statistics, use of slang, that sort of thing, it seems quite a challenge as some of the sample (Twitter) texts I’ve read aren’t about the authors themselves.
€300 is nothing compared to the value such software would have to marketing companies, but you get to keep both your program and copyrights so all seems to be in order. I think I’ll pass this on to a linguistics student I know.

login or register to react