AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

On Intelligence

I just ordered the book: http://www.onintelligence.org/

From the excerpt (prologue) on the site:

I often refer to this theory and my approach to studying intelligence as “real intelligence” to distinguish it from “artificial intelligence.” AI scientists tried to program computers to act like humans without first answering what intelligence is and what it means to understand. They left out the most important part of building intelligent machines, the intelligence! “Real intelligence” makes the point that before we attempt to build intelligent machines, we have to first understand how the brain thinks, and there is nothing artificial about that. Only then can we ask how we can build intelligent machines.

Weren’t neural networks supposed to lead to intelligent machines?
Of course the brain is made from a network of neurons, but without first understanding what the brain does, simple neural networks will be no more successful at creating intelligent machines than computer programs have been.

[ # 1 ]

Looks like an interesting read, Hans. How the brain works is a fundamental question concerning the very core of what it means to be human. In an age of accelerating artificial computation and a heightened interest in what defines information and knowledge processing, this is a seminal question for our time.

Please post a review of the book once you’ve had a chance to take a look at it!

[ # 2 ]

I find it interesting that a few scientists are bold enough to give instruction books on how to make strong AI but none of the books really give detail on how to achieve it.  For example, “The Age Of Spiritual Machines,” “How to Build a Mind” and others.

[ # 3 ]

Yep, a review would be nice.

[ # 4 ]

Yeah Toby, I think if they knew that much, they’d be sitting in front of a computer, typing code rather than books. smile

[ # 5 ]

@CR yes and selling a strong AI solution could make one a little bit wealthy.  That’s incentive.  Speaking of incentive, there should be a 10 Million dollar prize for passing the Turing test if people want it to happen.  $100,000 ain’t gonna cut it.

[ # 6 ]

Interestingly, I recently read an article that ‘money’ actually isn’t the best motivator. It helps, no doubt, but above a certain threshold - when people have enough money to consider it 1 less problem, things like job satisfaction, work recognition, self development and stuff become more important. Money though, helps.

[ # 7 ]
Jan Bogaerts - Feb 17, 2011:

Interestingly, I recently read an article that ‘money’ actually isn’t the best motivator. It helps, no doubt, but above a certain threshold - when people have enough money to consider it 1 less problem, things like job satisfaction, work recognition, self development and stuff become more important. Money though, helps.

True for me.  If I’m financially secure I sure don’t feel like doing any more work.  I think $10M would motivate a lot of people as it may not be a work related project.  You could retire if you didn’t have to split it too many ways.

[ # 8 ]

If I’m financially secure I sure don’t feel like doing any more work.

pool, umbrellas, hoola-hoops and a coctail, everything else, what else?  LOL

[ # 9 ]

pool, umbrellas, hoola-hoops and a coctail, everything else, what else?  LOL

Dancing Girls? Maybe a team of experts, to figure out new and exciting ways to be nice to me? raspberry

[ # 10 ]

Hey guys. I’m trying to catchup, clicked on this thread called ‘on intelligence’.

The first thing I stumbled upon:

pool, umbrellas, hoola-hoops and a coctail, everything else, what else?

Dancing Girls? tongue rolleye

What’s going on right here? It triggered my curiosity. grin

[ # 11 ]

Just a bit of friendly banter, is all, Erwin. A bit of humor, to help alleviate some earlier tensions.

[ # 12 ]

hurray, missed some threads but also heard that the atmosphere could be improved again. Shall we organize a Chatbots.org party? Actually we should really do that, the only limitation I have is a restricted budget on air travel for all participants, so I need to figure that out grin

[ # 13 ]

A party sounds like a great idea!  Jan and Dave are in charge of entertainment. raspberry

[ # 14 ]

@CR & Jan: I’ll post a review when I’ve read it.

@Toby: not everyone is going for the commercial success, some like the adventure of discovery and invention. I’m surely one of those. Also, having people write books and research papers is very important, evidently for most people here on the board as well going from all the research papers many members are linking to in the discussions.

@Erwin: I think I had that party already today, somewhere around lunch wink

[ # 15 ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdbZqI1r7I

1 2 > 
1 of 2

login or register to react