AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Just For Fun

[ # 226 ]
Laura Patterson - Nov 2, 2011:

I have looked ay Skynet-AI and find this bot very interesting indeed, especially the use of JS in the processing.

JavaScript is an excellent choice for a chatter robot.  It will be interesting.  Especially when it comes to posting back to the database server.

Merlin - Nov 2, 2011:

Thanks,
Skynet-AI has a thread on the forum:
http://www.chatbots.org/ai_zone/viewthread/316/

You might also find the JAIL (JavaScript Artificial Intelligence Language) thread interesting.
http://www.chatbots.org/ai_zone/viewthread/317/

I wonder if Skynet-AI has ever, or, can be made to, compete in the Loebner Prize Contest ?
In theory it should be possible via .NET, leaving all the JavaScript intact.

8PLA • NET - Nov 2, 2011:

About a hundred and forty eight people viewed Just For Fun since yesterday — now Just For Fun is at about eight thousand one hundred and twenty views.  Lets see how many views tomorrow will bring.  In the meantime, don’t be shy, leave a comment on, Just For Fun, the most popular thread at Chatbots.org.

Just passed eight thousand three hundred views today.

[ # 227 ]

You know, Tom, you’re also coming up on another “milestone”: 500 posts! It’s a shame that this forum doesn’t have a “standard” members list, that can be sorted by post count. I’d love to see who the forum’s semi-official “blabber-mouth” is (though it’s likely to be me, I think) raspberry

[ # 228 ]

The feature I like the most in using client side scripting is the ability to execute functions based on conditional input. Excellent for creating an AI search bot that can interpret what the user wants by parsing the context of the users input. The script can then perform searches in the background, IE: in a hidden frame and then utilize the data it mines in its response back to the user or build a result page.

[ # 229 ]

I may enter Skynet-AI or a bot based on JAIL into a future Loebner. The issue has always been the Judge communication protocol. I find it more rewarding either expanding the AI or adding new features vs developing a UI that would have no other value. I feel the protocol is an unnecessary burden on developers.

Skynet-AI does run locally, in fact that is how I do all my development and testing. There are compilers for Javascript and .NET is always a possibility.

[ # 230 ]

Thanks! It has not always been easy, it’s a a lot lot lot of work, but all the work is leading to results, and that’s the most important. Thanks for your continuous activity, bug reports & feature request. It’s the community what makes Chatbots.org!

[ # 231 ]
Merlin - Nov 4, 2011:

The issue has always been the Judge communication protocol.

@Merlin:
Yes.  The main obstacle, in theory, is file system access via JavaScript. Maybe not impossible, but certainly tricky, and that is what would make it fun! Are others permitted to enter the contest with chatter robots based on JAIL?

@Everyone:
New webhost setup is making progress.
79b.org is back online with just some basics.
8pla.net is next to be brought back online.
The links on this thread will be restored on the new webhost.

[ # 232 ]
8PLA • NET - Nov 5, 2011:
Merlin - Nov 4, 2011:

The issue has always been the Judge communication protocol.

@Merlin:
Yes.  The main obstacle, in theory, is file system access via JavaScript. Maybe not impossible, but certainly tricky, and that is what would make it fun! Are others permitted to enter the contest with chatter robots based on JAIL?

It is possible that in the future I may allow others to use JAIL to build Loebner competitors. The best results would be from a bot custom built to compete (Skynet-AI of course makes no attempt to pretend it is human).

JavaScript does have some features that allow it to access the file system given appropriate permissions. Making it cross-browser compatible is tricky, but applications like tiddlywiki have overcome the limitations.

[ # 233 ]

On Hiatus

[ # 234 ]

Off Hiatus, for the 500th post.

[ # 235 ]

Welcome Back 8PLA!

On JavaScript, I plan on porting mine to a windows based application for the Loebner Prize. The only issue would be not Internet access but access to a browser API on the machine that would hosting my bot.

Does anyone know the platform involved?

[ # 236 ]

Tom! You’re back grin. Welcome back over here. We’ve missed you!

@Laura: maybe better to start a new thread on your javascript question?

[ # 237 ]
Laura Patterson - Feb 6, 2012:

Welcome Back 8PLA!

On JavaScript, I plan on porting mine to a windows based application for the Loebner Prize. The only issue would be not Internet access but access to a browser API on the machine that would hosting my bot.

Does anyone know the platform involved?

Laura, JavaScript is a powerful choice for a chatter robot.  I hope you continue to support a JavaScript version, if you choose another programming language for a chatter robot contest version.  Unofficially, for discussion purposes only, since Hugh is the best to talk about the Loebner Prize Contest, file system access is required by the Loebner Prize Protocol, which itself may require some effort. 

Thank you, Erwin. Getting ready for this year’s chatter robot contests is a challenge with three of them.  And we have a great conference too.  A great way to honor of Turing’s 100th birthday.  Here is what I am putting together now: http://8-I.us

Dave,  please assist me with a link to the forumbot inquiry you mentioned, so I may reply?  As far as I know, I wrote the first forumbot for PHP-Fusion, before we lost Nick Jones, founder of PHP-fusion http://www.php-fusion.co.uk/news.php.  I believe Nick thought it was cool.  So I may bring the PHP-Fusion forumbot back again in his honor.

[ # 238 ]
8PLA • NET - Feb 18, 2012:

[quote author=“Laura Patterson” date]

Laura, JavaScript is a powerful choice for a chatter robot.  I hope you continue to support a JavaScript version.

No problem here. Marie is built on JavaScript for several key reasons including the integration with Google’s APIs. Marie is much more than a Chatbot by a long shot. I just finished the Geo Aware module last weekend that integrates into Google Maps API and is used for localizing services.

Our goal is to build a very robust AI Chatbot interface to a variety of web based services. 

[ # 239 ]

Laura,

Unofficially, for the sake of conversation only… The Loebner Prize Contest uses a file chooser so a chatter robot contestant may know where it should find the communication directories as outlined in the Loebner Prize Protocol specification. 

In short, this may render a good web-based programming language like JavaScript less than ideal for the LPC. Though not to suggest JavaScript is ruled out.  We may talk about this further, if you like. 

There may still be enough time to enter another chatter robot contest which does not access the file system called the Chatterbox Challenge http://www.chatterboxchallenge.com which I think the deadline is 3/1/12 to enter.

NOTE: When I say I wrote the first PHP-Fusion forumbot, I am speaking casually. Credit is due others for the open source systems I modified, adapted, etc to make a forumbot.

[ # 240 ]

Thanks Tom, I am finalizing a beta version now that will be a public release for the CBC. This will be a great opportunity to run Marie around the track a few times and gather bug data at the same time. I am also testing Marie in the V8 environment and experimenting with my own method extensions although these will not make it into the beta version. I ultimately would like to release an API framework to run in .net and on enterprise systems.

‹ First  < 14 15 16 17 18 > 
16 of 18

login or register to react