AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Interview with designer of 4004 and Z80

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/no-real-ai-in-the-next-40-years/

This article summarises an interview with Federico Faggin, the designer of the 4004 and Z80 microprocessors, on the subject of artificial intelligence. It is short and to the point, thought provoking, and somewhat controversial—quite a high-value read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Faggin

[ # 1 ]

Great article Andrew, thanks for sharing!

[ # 2 ]

Yup! Thanks, Andrew. I found both the article and the Wiki page to be interesting, as the Z80 processor powered the first computer that I owned (A Radio Shack CoCo). I didn’t learn much in the way of actual programming until the 800XL (Atari) with a 6502 processor, but I still had a lot of fun with the CoCo, and I learned a great deal. smile

[ # 3 ]

The Z80 also powered most of my favorite videogames as a teenager. Pacman, Mr Do, Ladybug and so on.

[ # 4 ]

hahaha, the first thing I thought that it was about the YEAR 4004. I thought: that is farrr away. Curious what this thread is about.

Anyway, I’m from the ‘other’ camp. Grew up with a Commodore 64. After the introduction of the PC, it took 10 years before games reached the C64 level. It’s now a bit futher ... wink

I’ve searched several times for ‘Sams Reciter’, in order to list it the Chatbots.org directory. This chatbot was actually the very first chatbot, with TTS, I personally met. I think it was back in 1986, 25 years ago. (I’m getting old wink ).

[ # 5 ]

The Z80 was my first processor that I programmed using CPM.
Can you say, “Peek” and “Poke”? That was back in 81.

[ # 6 ]

I remember Peek & Poke, too, though not always fondly. “Poking” the wrong location caused me all sorts of grief on many occasions. wink

It just shows that the original folks who designed programming languages were just as geeky then as they are now. smile

[ # 7 ]

I learned the words ‘peek’ and ‘poke’ before I was aware they had a ‘normal’ meaning in the English language as well (and I already forgot about it).

login or register to react