AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Announcing RiveScript for Python!

Any Python coders here? I’ve just finished a port of RiveScript to Python!

RiveScript is a chatbot scripting language with a really simple text-based syntax (simpler than ChatScript, anyway wink) and isn’t XML-based either.

The Python version is up on GitHub if anyone wants to check it out! It only took a couple days to program so I welcome any bug reports that people find. smile

https://github.com/kirsle/rivescript-python

[ # 1 ]

Thanks for the heads-up, Noah! I’m not a Python programmer by any stretch of the imagination (the only reason I have Python on my box is for Blender, and other apps), but I know of at least one person here that’s at least passingly familiar with it, and I’m sure they’ll chime in soon. smile

[ # 2 ]

Hi Noah,

Yes, there are a few of us Python coders here. I’ve brought a few chatter robots online with Python and discussed it here with other coders. I realize that this is brand new code, but I would like to ask, does this new version of RiveScript have any support for the Natural Language Toolkit (nltk.org) which is also in Python?

[ # 3 ]

It doesn’t support NLTK, and I don’t know how it would support it if I wanted to. wink RiveScript is more of a stand-alone thing like AIML is.

[ # 4 ]

Noah, you should talk to CR Hunt about the NLTK and it’s uses and functions. I know from some of her earlier posts that she’s at least passingly familiar with it, so it wouldn’t hurt to talk to her about it, if she’s interested. smile

[ # 5 ]
Noah Petherbridge - Apr 24, 2012:

It doesn’t support NLTK, and I don’t know how it would support it if I wanted to. wink RiveScript is more of a stand-alone thing like AIML is.

Once again, since this is brand new released RiveScript code, and since the intention is not to sound greedy, please note this is merely for the sake of conversation free of any sort of criticism.

Here is one idea with the NLTK, RiveScript may tell the mood of the person, which could come in handy…

Sentiment Analysis with Python NLTK Text Classification
It can tell you whether it thinks the text you enter below expresses positive sentiment, negative sentiment, or if it’s neutral.

Read more: http://text-processing.com/demo/sentiment/

Tip (Quick Howto):

Say something nice at first such as typing in a compliment or a friendly greeting, then for testing purposes, make a complaint or type in something negative… This demo will read your text and detect your sentiment.

[ # 6 ]

RiveScript Python CGI:

Here is a basic demo, for the new RiveScript Python, using CGI:

http://8-i.us/rivescript-python/CGI.py?say=What+is+your+name?

NOTE: After pageload, you may use spaces instead of plus signs

to ask new questions such as: say=What is your age?

Plus signs are better for links. Spaces in links may truncate after the first word.

But plus signs are optional.  More to come, such as a webpage form with log.

For now, I wanted to share the progress that this basically works on the web!

login or register to react