AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

How to set user predicates?

At least, with my limited understanding, I think that’s what I’m looking for.

I’m learning AIML and chatbots using the PyAIML bot written by Cort Stratton (http://pyaiml.sourceforge.net/).

As I understand it, when I’m chatting with my bot, it temporarily stores predicates about me in a session file, so that, for the current session, it knows my name, gender, age, etc, whatever comes up about me in that session.  So question #1 would be: Is my understanding correct?

If so, where is that session data stored? 

Perhaps it would be better if I explained what I’m trying to do.  I have written code in Python that allows the user, upon program start, to identify themselves.  For now it’s a simple “What is your name?” but I’m working towards facial recognition that will determine the name of the current user and pass that to the AIML part of the bot, and am pretty close to being done with that bit.  At present, on startup of the program, the bot needs to learn who I am and information about me anew each time.

I want to put in persistent sessions, so that when I identify myself, the bot loads the predicates associated with me.  If someone can help me figure out how to do that, or at least how AIML temporarily stores that info, I’m pretty sure I can capture that info and save it in a file that get’s loaded each time.  From there it’s pretty trivial to have files for other users so the chat experience is a bit more personalized, ie: once the bot knows who you are it can retrieve the info it previously knew about you.

In the PyAIML docs there is a very brief discussion about persistent sessions, but I can’t seem to get it to work and I think it’s because I’m not asking it to retrieve the proper info.  I’ve contacted Cort, and he’s been wonderful, but he has moved on to other things and doesn’t remember much about this project.  He’s also a very busy guy with work and a new family and such, and I figured maybe someone here could help me figure it out as I don’t want to “overstay my welcome” as it were with him.

Any suggestions/ guidance?

regards, Richard

[ # 1 ]

hey, Richard.

The biggest problem here that I can see is that nobody here (that I know of) is familiar with PyAIML, and as such, getting answers here may be a difficult prospect. Normally, I would look into the question, and report my findings back, but I’m still in the hospital, and so my researching abilities are severely diminished right now. Have you checked PyAIML’s support pages, to see what they offer? smile

[ # 2 ]

Thanks for the response Dave, I figured it out.  It’s funny, but that’s how it usually works with me.  I can chew on a problem for weeks, like I have with this one, and never get it, but soon after I ask for help, I tend to figure it out on my own. 

I hope you feel better and get back on your feet soon.

regards, Richard

[ # 3 ]

Deleted, since you answered your own question, Richard.

login or register to react
‹‹ How hard      is it possible? ››