AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Sierpinski Triangle

[ # 31 ]

The way the forum script mangles javascript is a known issue. It’s meant to be a security feature, preventing the use of hidden malicious scripts in a user’s posts, but I think that there are much better ways to go about it. I’ve found a few “tricks” that make some of the script tags visible, or to prevent the forum from removing them altogether, but it’s not perfect, and certain things can’t be bypassed. But with a little bit of extra effort, you can pretty much post what you need others to see. smile

[ # 32 ]

Until the mangling problem is fixed, I won’t be putting up any more code. What should have been a few minute process extended over hours. The worst part being subtle bugs are injected that may make the code you post unworkable anyway.

[ # 33 ]

You’re not supposed to run the code, you’re supposed to admire the pretty colors!

[ # 34 ]

Maybe I should create a script that allows you to post your code into a textarea, and it spits out a URL that will display your HTML, PHP, CSS or javascript code, all formatted and colorized, just like looking at a .PHPS file. smile Then you can just put the URL into your post, and let the script deal with the rest. smile

[ # 35 ]

There are websites specially designed for displaying code online, complete with syntax highlighting. I’ve used http://pastebin.com/ in the past, but there are many others to choose from too.

[ # 36 ]

Actually, a site like PasteBin is a good idea. I’ve used them before (to look at/grab code), but completely forgot about them. Well, that would save a lot of effort, wouldn’t it? smile

[ # 37 ]

I’d propose to continue the discussion about the code - pasting problem in this thread

http://www.chatbots.org/admin/viewthread/603/#6652

Andrew, we’ll upgrade the forum in one of our next releases. Do you believe that pastebin is good example for us? How should we implement it? Please feel free to leave a feature request over here: http://www.chatbots.org/admin/viewforum/13/

[ # 38 ]
Erwin Van Lun - Aug 18, 2011:

Andrew, we’ll upgrade the forum in one of our next releases. Do you believe that pastebin is good example for us? How should we implement it? Please feel free to leave a feature request over here: http://www.chatbots.org/admin/viewforum/13/

Possibly, though I haven’t used it in many years. I have my own dedicated web and database servers and usually post anything that I need to post right here on my own server.

[ # 39 ]

It’s also possible to use the ‘advanced reply’, where you can upload documents, but this form does not seem to be popular.

[ # 40 ]
Erwin Van Lun - Aug 18, 2011:

It’s also possible to use the ‘advanced reply’, where you can upload documents, but this form does not seem to be popular.

Now that I know that it has greater capabilities I might start using it. Perhaps if you put a note beside the “Advanced Reply” button to the effect that you can upload documents with it, it would get more use. I’ll certainly be using it from now on. Thanks. smile

[ # 41 ]

You’re welcome! We’ll work on the navigational issues as well! thanks grin

[ # 42 ]

Thanks, Erwin! smile

I already knew about the “Advanced Reply” link (in fact, I think I’ve used it to upload a file once), but I don’t like to “clutter up” the forums with a lot of files, so I generally don’t like to use the feature. Besides, in this particular instance, I didn’t even think about it. smile

[ # 43 ]
Dave Morton - Aug 18, 2011:

Thanks, Erwin! smile

I already knew about the “Advanced Reply” link (in fact, I think I’ve used it to upload a file once), but I don’t like to “clutter up” the forums with a lot of files, so I generally don’t like to use the feature. Besides, in this particular instance, I didn’t even think about it. smile

Actually I tried this with an HTML document. It did not work (at least when I previewed it it game me an error, don’t know if it would have worked without previewing)

[ # 44 ]

I’m going to try an experiment, so please bear with me a moment. smile

Well, this is not good…

Error Message:

upload_unable_to_write_file

It seems that the file upload function is not working. I took my latest version of the code and saved is as an HTML page, and also as a text file. I got this same error message with both files.

I guess this means another bug report is needed. downer

[edit] It seems that the upload feature won’t allow text or HTML files, but will allow zip files. Curiouser and curiouser.

File Attachments
files.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 107)

[ # 45 ]
Dave Morton - Aug 14, 2011:

Ok, I’m sorry. I couldn’t help myself!

http://www.geekcavecreations.com/tmp/asciiArt.php?file=fractal.jpg

I have to warn you, though. This generates a HUGE file!

I’ve had a look, but I’m not sure what I see:

Image Attachments
EVLFractal.jpg

< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4

login or register to react