Hello I have been browseing around on many diffrent sites and came apon your forum/community. Seems to be active community for the devolpment and research of chatbots, and AI Theory field also. I have been a php and mysql database programmer for about a year now and wanted to take some of my free time and work on the old winalice, which i came across along with the source code also. Jacco the oringal maker of winalice is no longer working on it, he did how ever release a 2011 fixed version which he fixed various bugs, Several buffer overflows, memory leaks and other problems which he released on march 4th, 2011 as open source. I just have a simple objective here, which is to improve apon winalice’s current features, and also add on things that jacco never got the chance to, and to also bring this program back to life as it was a excllent stand alone program. Here is a list below of what Jacco wanted to add on and improve of winalice, this is Jacco’s list below not mine.
AI Beyond the original AIML and Alice:
Add cool utilities:
- Do websearches for images and so on
- Detect computers on the network using TCP/IP monitoring and a neural
- Use Boyler-Moore to improve the speed of string searches. This could
significantly boost the overall speed of the application, especially
on slower systems (like a Nino .
- WinAlice should look like the computers in SciFi movies. Ideas:
- Put a red box around ‘<star>’ and other variables in the user input.
- The ‘dictionary’ could be expanded with information about words,
like ‘horse’ can be prepended with ‘a’, and ‘work’ is both something
you do and a ‘thing’. That way, seldom words can be used in
later conversations. Also, using many text documents becomes
- See if voice recognition is interesting if the software is
trained really well. The dictionary of the software should be
seriously reduced so it matches my personal vocabulary better.
That way, it will make far less mistakes.
- Add support for a camera to Alice. Alice could monitor changes
in her invironment and respond to them. Willem is doing some
neural network stuff to support this. Alice could also
determine the current user that way.
- Scan news sites for headlines and detect changes to various
other ‘interesting’ pages. Interesting pages are pages that
are submitted by the user, news pages need some sort of
description of where Alice can find the headlines. Of course,
the layout of news pages should be very constant for that.
- Detect incoming e-mail and let the user know who wrote the
mail. I’m not sure if this is possible at all.
- Link to Internet Explorer for sending e-mail (by Alice herself)
and opening webpages.
Bugs and need-to-haves:
- Tell me more about your ‘need a good crash’ should have been
‘tell me more about your good crash’. The ‘need’ is wrong even
with the current code, the ‘a’ would be nice if we could ditch it.
- Need lots of stuff for the condition tag, like ‘isquestion’.
Many sentences ARE different with a question mark than without.
- Special topics can be used at certain dates, like a holiday
topic, a friday night topic, a weekend topic etc.
- Topics should be accompanied by an AIML file containing responses
to the most likely answers to the questions and remarks.
- Give the ‘generalizer’ some thought.
- I need a ‘logic’ analyzer, for ‘a=b, b=c, thus a=c’. Relations
are ‘is’, ‘is not’, ‘is sometimes’, ‘likes’, does’, etc.
- Alice should try to prevent using the same reply twice in a short
period, if there’s an alternative in the ‘random’ list.
- Add speech.
- Find seldom occurences of particular words: Those are often the real
topic of the conversation. Ask for a definition to get info on it.
3.Make it possible to make arbitrary named variables using AIML.
Syntax: <var_xyz=“some data”>; print it using </var_xyz>.
This could ultimately completely replace the current variable stuff.
- Special variables: </var_question> becomes ‘true’ if the sentence
ended with a question mark. Other useful variables:
Can’t think of anything else right now.
- Many questions from Alice cause the user to respond with something
simplistic like ‘yes’ or ‘no’. It might be a good idea to catch these
- Alice should be nasty once a month, and late at night.
1.Scan the AIML for words that are not in the dictionary to prevent
really odd situations. Export these words to a ‘suspicious.txt’ file.
- Scan 65percent.aiml for rare words and make sure there are replies
when the user asks ‘what is <rare word>’. That way, responses that
popped up during the Turing contest can be prevented. Alice already
knows what a ‘seeker’ is, but there are many more examples of words that
cause a user to ask what it is, and there are no proper responses for
2.Add the unique categories of Program B to WinAlice. I need a ‘merger’
I have done some miner things to the program all ready here is my changes so far.
-Started over with a new base made by Jacco Thanks.
-Removed uneeded aiml files Blet.aiml and Blettemplate.aiml.
-Fixed command open command promt, it now opens proberly.
-Fixed command open Calucatler, it now opens proberly.
-Added command open Explorer, Lacie can now open Explorer window.
-Added command open paint, Lacie can now open WIndows paintbye
in a window.
-Edited the AIML Loading and Sorting Script.
-Edited the Dictinary Loading Script.
-Reorginzed the Botmaster.aiml file for better editting and redibilty.
-Reorginzed the Defaults.aiml file for better editting and redibilty.
-Added Nature AIML Catigory which will have many subject about Nature and animals that live in it so Lacie can regonize when you are talking about this and respond to you in a more human manner.
-Added currency AIML from Squarbear now you can ask Laice what curreny is used in what country and she will tell you.
-Took out some non working commands in the Commands.aiml file.
-Fixed a small typo in Commands.aiml
I wanted to ask of some from this community, one is what do you think of winalice? What do you think winalice should be able to do? Is it worth working on again? Also is any one has any information on how to intigrate a Text to Speech Engine (TTS) THis would be very helpfull to me as I am use to php and C++ if very diffrent to say the least lol. I was able to write a TTS engine thanks to microsoft website but am unable to implement it in to winalice. Thanks for your time. Also I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate for my compilere and editer.